Ecwid V Shopify
March 28, 2018
There are two main types of tools you can use to build your store: a tool that lets you create a store which you then 'plug in' to an existing website or a tool that lets you build a complete e-commerce site (a whole new website, basically, with a shopping cart).
Shopify allows you to build a complete e-commerce site from scratch, whereas Ecwid is more for users who want to sell products on an existing website (or, indeed, a social media page).
Perhaps in a bid to capture a slice of each other’s market share, Shopify introduced a new plan, 'Shopify Lite', which allows you, much like Ecwid, to sell products on an existing site...and Ecwid introduced a new 'Starter Site' feature which allows you to run an Ecwid store as a standalone site.
Which solution is for you depends on whether you already have a website (that you are happy to sell from) or not. If you don't have a website, or have a poorly designed one, a good cost effective option for you could be to use Shopify (or a similar tool), as it comes with a range of free templates that a) look professional and b) you can adapt to suit your needs.
If you have a website that already looks and works well, then Ecwid could suit you better.
Here are some reasons why Ecwid could be more suited to your business.....
- Already have a website that you are happy with, and wish to add a fully-featured online store to it
- Looking to create your own custom built online store
- Wish to offer your store in multiple languages
- Are on a budget or have basic selling requirements - its free plan may actually meet your needs
- Are happy with building a one-page online store
- Need more flexibility with product options
- Really want to offer a mobile app version of your website.
And here are some reasons why Shopify could be the perfect fit.....
- Don't already have a website or online store, and wish to set one up from scratch which contains multiple sections and pages
- Don’t want to spend a lot of money on a web designer
- Need advanced point-of-sale functionality
- Would like to choose from a wide range of payment gateways
- Are happy with the simple but effective functionality offered by Shopify's 'Buy Button' as a way to sell products on an existing site.
We hope this will help you decide which E-commerce solution works best for you. If you are looking for helping with launching your own online store, feel free to drop us an email to discuss things further.